CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, February 19, 2010

Not So Quick BUT, Hands Down the Best Lasagna!

Yesterday I began at about 2:30 to start making this Amazing lasagna! I knew it was going to be Amazing because I had already made this recipe before.
Although I have become somewhat of an expert on shopping with coupons, tracking the grocery store specials and "working it" with the double savings deals....this is still one of those "High and Mighty Meals" as it still cost me approx. 15.00 to make. However, last night it served 8 servings and there's a good 5 servings leftover!!! A perfect meal to make for company or if your looking to have enough for leftovers.
Did I mention why I decided to make this yesterday? Because, ya know, I normally wont make such a time consuming meal unless there's a good reason...I mean after all this IS all about Quick and Easy on a budget:) Well, here is one of the joys of teenagers! My son asked when a good night would be to have his girlfriend over for dinner for the 1st time, I said Thursday. So, Wed. I told him to confirm that she would be coming. He said he would text me Thursday from school if she wasnt going to come. So, Thursday comes, No Text, I start cooking early because it does take 3 HOURS!!
Long story short.........Oops, I forgot to text you, mom!!.....SHE'S NOT COMING!!
Anyway, it was great to make because my daughter got involved with me and she helped w/ the lasagna and she made homemade garlic bread. This is after all why I like cooking so much...it get's the family more involved:) So, here is the Amazing recipe I found online. I made just a few modifications like using fat free cheese and extra lean ground beef:) I hope you enjoy it and have fun making it with someone you Love spending time with...this is perfect for that!

Ingredients

  • 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
  • 3/4 pound lean ground beef(EXTRA LEAN)
  • 1/2 cup minced onion
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed ( I used 4!!)
  • 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
  • 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
  • 2 (6.5 ounce) cans canned tomato sauce
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
  • 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
  • 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
  • 12 lasagna noodles
  • 16 ounces ricotta cheese( I used fat free)
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 pound mozzarella cheese, sliced (sliced is what makes it stay nicely together when you cut it!)
  • 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

  1. In a large skillet cook sausage, ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until well browned. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water. Season with sugar, basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley. Simmer, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
  2. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain noodles, and rinse with cold water. In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, remaining parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
  3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  4. To assemble, spread 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange 6 noodles lengthwise over meat sauce. Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with a third of mozzarella cheese slices. Spoon 1 1/2 cups meat sauce over mozzarella, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers, and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil: to prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray, or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese.
  5. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
****Letting it cool will also help keep it from falling apart when you cut it!

Sometimes fear can be mistaken for excitement...
There is Nothing Wrong With Being Afraid...As Long as we dont let it Stop us from doing things that Excite us. Peace!

0 comments: