CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Michelle's Chicken Barley Soup..because it's a Good Carb!

I have been reading a lot about the Good Carbs Vs. Bad Carbs and how the bad carbs are responsible for no weight Loss or possibly the reason we Gain weight...In addition, the conversion to sugar is higher with most of the "Bad" carbs... causing us to just spike in energy levels only to quickly crash!
Why am I telling you this??? Because that is why I decided to make the Chicken w/ Barley tonight instead of white rice....that's all...LOL!! I just ate this soup and it was so good! The whole family liked it and all I did was throw it all in the crock pot...and I use my Awesome rice cooker to steam the barley!
I have to admit that One of the things that is a bit challenging with this blog and writing the recipes is ...I sometimes just wing it...meaning I don't necessarily have an exact measurement for some of the ingredients I use. Tonight I didnt follow a recipe at all...I just made it up but, I knew I wanted to post it so I eyeballed the amounts of everything I used so I could tell you. Feel free to eyeball the amounts you may need too:)

Michelle's Chicken Barley Soup

  • Approx 1lb of Chicken (whatever kind you have that saved you money on sale:)!!) I used 1/2 breasts w/ bones and 1/2 way through I took the chicken off the bone and shredded it.
  • 6 cups chicken stock total (if you have homemade use it all. If not use 2 1/2 cups water and 2 1/2 cups chicken stock.
  • 1/2 onion chopped
  • 1c celery chopped
  • 1c carrots chopped
  • 2 cups barley (steam separately then add the last hour!) This keeps it from getting too mushy.
  • salt and pepper to taste and a clove or 2 of garlic to taste:
Add everything to the slow cooker and set on high for approx 5 hours! I started this at noon , steamed the barley and added it at the last hour!

0 comments: