CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Just when You Think it's going to be Bad...It turns Out to be Great!! STEEL CUT OATMEAL FOR APPROX. $3.00!

So, The title of today's blog really has nothing to do with the Steel cut oatmeal recipe I'm going to post. However, it is part of the reason I wrote that title. Truthfully, I woke up in a terrible funky, funk! I had been on a roll with my working out and this morning I just couldn't talk myself into doing it at the normal 5:30 or 6am. Which caused me to be hard on myself and a bit depressed. I also was mad at myself for indulging in that vino last night in which caused me to go for the extra serving of dinner!!!Ugh, I felt like I took 5 steps backwards. Just when I was ready to feel sorry for myself I got an e-mail from my friend asking if I wanted to go running...!!The day began to start looking a bit Brighter! YES, I was out the door in 5 minutes, it was just the Motivation I Needed! Today's run was even longer..a nice unexpected challenge to top it off and I'm feeling Good. Now, as I have been cooking more often there is still a small fear that lingers over me that my family will not like what I have made...and that You may not like it...However, to my Surprise, when I walked in the door after my run, my 3 1/2 year old, Grayson was eating the oatmeal and he finished it all! My husband Loved it and had 2 big bowls and my older son Loved it also!(The other 2 kids weren't home to try it yet) A big sigh of Relief came over me! What makes this oatmeal so great is that it is unlike the instant oatmeal that has so much sugar. Also, steel cut oatmeal has a lower Glycemic Index then rolled oats. AND just in case you dont know what that is(I didn't for a long time) This is the measure of effect the carbohydrates have on blood sugar. ..carbs that have a high GI release glucose faster into the blood stream and vise versa for carbs that have a lower GI. If your watching you blood sugar or if your diabetic...that is good to know:) The day seemed to continue getting better, I also received a supportive e-mail from another friend that made me feel Great! My day had completely Turned from Bad to Great with the help from my friends and family. So, whenever your feeling bad call a friend or look to your family for support, chances are you will get all that you need as long as your willing to open your mind and heart to it and Accept it because YOU DESERVE IT!!

***********THE CONVENIENCE OF THIS RECIPE IS THE BEAUTY OF IT!
*****THIS RECIPE IS BEST DONE LATE IN THE EVENING SO IT WILL BE READY FOR BREAKFAST! IT TAKES APPROX 8 HOURS! AND YOU GET TO SLEEP THROUGH IT ALL:)

***I got the idea for this recipe on the food network website but, I tweaked it of course:)

1 c steel cut oats
4 c water
1 c orange cranberries
1 c figs, dates or raisins
1/2 tsp cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
1/2 tsp vanilla
HONEY to sweeten once its done and a splash of milk if you like:)

*** I added some of my homemade granola on top also***

Directions

In a slow cooker, combine all ingredients and set to low heat. Cover and let cook approx 8 hrs. Stir and serve Mmmmmmmmmm Good:)


0 comments: