CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, January 24, 2010

"HIGH AND MIGHTY" JAMBALAYAH FOR APPROX. $15.00

I once worked with a guy from Alabama. I remember sitting in the break room, I was approx. 6 mos. pregnant with my daughter, I splurged and ordered an amazing lunch from The Cheesecake Factory. Well, when Greg, (the guy from Alabama) walked in the break room and saw my meal he stopped and said(in his adorable Southern accent) " OoooH My, You sure are eatin' High and Mighty today, Mmmmm, Mmmm!" Then he proceeded to tell me that was how his mother spoke about "Fine Dining". I thought it was adorable and from time to time I would repeat that line and attempt to say it in my best Southern accent. Well, after all these simple, low cost meals I have been making, I decided to splurge and serve a "High and Mighty" meal to the family. I went from 4 and 5 dollar meals to a whoppin' $15.00 Jambalayah (still for a family of 6 2.50 per. person is not bad)!! Yes, I still bought on sale and cut a few corners with the ingredients but, it tasted amazing and it was extra delicious the next day(my husband ate it ALL). It is on the spicy side so if your cookin' for little ones maybe go easier on the seasoning. I found this recipe on allrecipes.com and I did make my own modifications...I added scallops and got the idea for Worcestershire sauce from a different recipe. I hope you like it and enjoy yourself a fine High and Mighty meal !

Here is what you will need~
  • 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1 inch cubes
  • 1 pound andouille sausage, sliced (look for LEAN, and I could have used 1/2 lb, it's up top you)
  • 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 cup chopped celery
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 2 teaspoons dried parsley
  • 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 pound frozen cooked shrimp without tails
  • 1/2 lb scallops (you can also add crab meat, I think I'm going to next time)
  • 1 tblsp Worcestershire sauce OR BB-Q sauce!! (I'm trying that next)

How It's Done:)

  1. In a slow cooker, mix the chicken, sausage, tomatoes with juice, onion, green bell pepper, celery, and broth. Season with oregano, parsley, Cajun seasoning, cayenne pepper, and thyme.
  2. Cover, and cook 7 to 8 hours on Low, or 3 to 4 hours on High. Stir in the shrimp and scallops or crab during the last 30 minutes of cook time.
It's so fragrant and looks so good you'll feel like a Gourmet Chef:):) Good Luck!

*****BTW......ONLY ONE MORE WEEK UNTIL THE END OF THE MONTH....CAN YOU GUESS HOW MUCH I HAVE SPENT IN GROCERIES????? I THINK EVERYONE WILL BE SHOCKED!!!!!!!

0 comments: