CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, January 22, 2010

Healthy Granola for $5.00, and A Lot of Good Stuff I'm Learning

Well, I have to say, some really good things are coming from this blog....some things I expected and some I did not. I did expect to cut the food budget and I did expect that the pressure of not having enough recipes would keep me consistent in continuing to cook so I would have something to post...because how embarrassing to start a blog then have nothing to share. However, I have noticed that cooking is bringing the family closer and some Memories are being made. Wow! Last night Madeline finished making the Spaghetti dinner as I was preparing the Granola (working TOGETHER in the Kitchen) and through the evening the house smelled like a bakery and everyone was anticipating the outcome of the granola. This morning as I packed the lunches and put the granola in baggies the kids sampled the granola and even said they wanted it for dinner! I think there is a good feeling for everyone when the food they eat is homemade, special, and it is for them. Also, I'm doing much more research and I am learning so much. Here is what I learned ...So, the granola was 5.00....I know you can buy a bag of granola for less. However, my recipe was probably double the size you would buy in the store and even more important.....it is MUCH HEALTHIER! Why? Because the ones packaged in the store are USUALLY made with high fructose syrup and other things like SUGAR And Partially Hydrogenated OILS! YUCK! If you were to buy one that did not contain that it would be the more costly bags in the store. So, making it homemade makes the house smell delicious, creates memories, and is so good for you! I hope you like this recipe, the great thing is if you dont you can use the main idea and add your own ingredients..that's what I do :) This is a great gift idea...cute decorated bag with a nice bow and gift tag...The possibilities are endless. Have an Amazing Day xo

**I found this recipe in a site called associated content and it was submitted by Missy Dodrill...However, I did change a few things.....I LOVE that the ONLY sweetner is Honey!

INGREDIENT LIST
3 cups of rolled oats, instant or regular oats
1 cup of shredded coconut
½ cup of shelled sunflower seeds
½ cup of almonds( I used slivered)
½ cup of cashews( I used halves)
Dash of cinnamon
Dash of nutmeg
2/3 cup of honey
¼ cup of vegetable oil (Im not a fan of veggie oil...I used olive oil, I bet a nut oil would be great!)
**********For the dried fruits...I used orange/cranberries and dates!

Mix all the above ingredients together and cook on low setting in the crock pot. Make sure to keep the lid slightly off to vent. Stir every half an hour and cook for 4 hours. When it is finished cooking, after 4 hours, it will be soft. It will harden after it sits for a little bit.

After the granola is done cooking, now is the time to add dried fruits, cranberries, and raisins. If these items are added during the cooking process, they will get hard. Use 1 ½ cups (more or less, depending on your liking) of all combined fruit you want to add.

0 comments: