CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Quinoa Chicken Cranberry Soup

I have been into eating foods with a lower glycemic index lately. So, that is why I tried Quinoa! It is about 35 on the GI chart!! Meaning, this carbohydrate stays in the fat burning range instead of turning into sugar and storing into fat!!
This had a sort of ethnic taste that I cant really describe....the cinnamon, almonds and cranberries made this dish pretty exotic....It was originally supposed to be a casserole but, I changed it because I was too lazy to go to the store to buy the ingredients I was missing for the casserole...So, a soup was made! I would definitely try the casserole next time because I liked the Quinoa so much.

I bought the Quinoa,Almonds,Cranberries in the bulk bins for pretty cheap and the Chicken on sale of course...so this is another easy, inexpensive meal! I'd say around $10.00 at the Most!

1 1/2 cups Quinoa
1 lb chicken-any kind you like or have on hand
4 to 5 cups broth (depending how thick you like your soup-I used Chicken)
1 T Olive Oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 c sliced almonds
1/3 c dried cranberries

Rinse Quinoa Very Well!! add everything in the crock pot on low for about 6 hours or high for about 4 hours! Half way through, shred the chicken and put back in the pot!

Eat what you Love, Love what you Eat! Thanks for reading.Peace

0 comments: