CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Confetti White Chicken Chili...A Gift from Issaquah Wa!

You may remember a long time ago that I posted on FB a recipe that my kids Loved and even said it was restaurant style!
Or...then again, maybe you don't remember...
Well, I'm finally getting around to posting the recipe..TODAY:) This recipe is from my wonderful high school friend, Michele from Issaquah, Wa! This is another crock pot recipe and Very low cost, feeds my family of 6. I'm guessing now that I made this for approx. $ 13.00!

Confetti White Chicken Chili
3 15oz cans Great Northern or cannellini beans
1 1/2 cups chopped red, orange and/or yellow peppers (I use all three)
1 cup coarsley shredded carrot
1/2 cup sliced green onions
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp dried oregano, crushed
1 tsp ground cumin (this really is awesome in this dish)
1/2 tsp salt
2 14oz cans chicken broth (No MSG)
2 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken
Shredded cheese for garnish
1. Drain and rinse 2 cans of the beans and place in a 3-4 quart slow cooker. Use a potato masher or fork to mash beans. Drain and rinse the third can of beans (do not mash). Add sweet peppers, carrots, green onions, garlic, oregano, cumin and salt to the mashed beans. Stir in chicken broth until combined.
2. Cover, cook on low-heat setting for 6-8 hours, or high-heat setting for 3-4 hours (I think it tastes better on the low setting).
3. Stir in chicken, cover and cook about 15 minutes more until chicken is heated through. Serve with cheese.
For the chicken, I typically use frozen chicken breasts that I poach in water with poultry seasoning, onion, celery and lemon. Then I just shred the chicken. You could easily use a roasted chicken from the grocery store. If it seems a bit thin, after adding the chicken, I typically stir in a paste made of about 2 tbsp softened butter and 2 tbsp dry bread crumbs. It thickens it and gave it some richness too.

***Here's a little ""Michelle Tip"...SAVE the broth from boiling the chicken!! Use it the next time you make a crock pot soup in place of buying chicken broth...tastes better AND you save $$$$$$
Enjoy.

0 comments: